01 Sep 2014
A few historical turning points for the HBS campusTopics:
THE ORIGINAL 13
Speaking at the campus dedication on June 4, 1927, George Fisher Baker, whose $5 million gift funded the construction of the thirteen original riverfront buildings, set the tone for the next hundred years of campus development: “… it must be remembered always,” the distinguished financier and philanthropist asserted, “that the standard of excellence which must be maintained comes not simply from the outside of the buildings, but from the work and training on the inside.”
LIVING AND LEARNING
Two notable additions to the campus during the 1980–1995 tenure of Dean John H. McArthur—the Class of 1959 Chapel and Shad Hall—were actually elements delayed from the original master plan. Other McArthur-era projects, such as infrastructure improvements and the creation of a more collaborative environment for faculty in a reconstructed Morgan Hall, strengthened residential life and recognized the growing importance of interdisciplinary faculty research.
EX ED’S SPACE RACE
In large part, the growing space demands of HBS Executive Education programs drove campus projects in the late 1990s and early 2000s. Providing much-needed MBA and Executive Education instructional space, Hawes Hall, the first new HBS classroom building in fifty years, opened during the tenure of Kim B. Clark. Clark also oversaw the renovation of Aldrich Hall and the construction of Spangler Center, a new hub for student activity that opened more space in Kresge for Executive Education needs while increasing the vitality of the southern part of campus.
BLOOMBERG COMES ONLINE
Completed in 2005 under the stewardship of Jay Light, the renovation of Baker Library to include the new Bloomberg Center underscored the role of technology in business research and teaching. The facility’s new, south-facing entrance also acknowledged the increasingly southern orientation of the HBS campus that is a hallmark of the new campus master plan.