- What is a LEFA and how can I update it?
Your Lifelong E-mail Forwarding Address (LEFA) gives you access to protected areas of the HBS alumni Web site. For information on your LEFA's benefits or to update it, go to: http://www.alumni.hbs.edu/help.
- How do I set up e-mail (LEFA) forwarding?
If you know your LEFA and password, then you may designate an e-mail forwarding address here. If you do not know your password, reset your password by using this Reset Your Password Web page.
Please understand that your LEFA is a forwarding address for e-mail, not an actual e-mail address. An e-mail sent to your LEFA is forwarded by the LEFA servers to a personal e-mail address that you designate. The LEFA is not a traditional e-mail account that you might check via the Web or via a POP server.
- I've forgotten my username. How can I retrieve it?
Retrieve your username by using this Retrieve Your Username web page.
- I've forgotten my password. How can I reset it?
Reset your password by using this Reset Your Password web page.
- I received a suspicious e-mail from HBS. (Would HBS ever ask for my password?)
From time to time you may receive e-mails addressed to your LEFA that appear to be official messages from HBS IT, but are in fact fraudulent e-mails devised to extract sensitive, private information. Recent messages have been addressed to "Hbs.edu User," a term HBS does not employ. In addition they ask you to send via e-mail your username and password. NOTE: HBS will never ask you to e-mail your password or other sensitive information.
This type of fradulent messages is often referred to as a "phishing" e-mail. Below are some steps to take to avoid falling victim of a phishing scheme.
- Be extra careful when you receive an email requesting sensitive data. HBS, banks, or any legitimate service will never ask for sensitive information through email. As a precaution, contact the company from which the email apparently originates (using a phone number from a statement or their official Web site, not any phone number provided in the email) to check that the email is legitimate.
- To repeat - HBS will never ask you for sensitive information via email.
- Update your browser to one that identifies phishing sites. Microsoft's Internet Explorer 7 (and higher) as well as versions of Mozilla Firefox newer than 2.0 maintain a list of known phishing sites and will check Web sites against the list. Firefox 2 and later uses Google anti-phishing software and Internet Explorer will ask you to turn on the anti-phishing utility after you install it.
- Hover over (but don't click!) any links embedded in the email. Frequently, a URL will look legitimate at first glance, but you will see when hovering over the link it actually goes to a fraudulent site.
- For additional information, and to test your phishing knowledge, visit OnGuardOnline.gov or the Microsoft Web site
- If you have fallen victim, please contact the Alumni Records Office: 617.384.5977; firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Why did I receive a spam message from my own LEFA address?
The appearance of spam messages from your own e-mail address can be disconcerting, but it is not the result of a security breach in the HBS computer systems. The most likely cause is a virus attack on a personal computer of someone who has your LEFA address in their contact list or elsewhere on their computer. These spam viruses then "spoof" the e-mail return address by using an e-mail address found on the machine. Best practice is simply to delete the message.
HBS IT is committed to spam protection and is continually reviewing and updating its techniques to slowing the flow of spam. To help HBS monitor the amount of spam messages reaching alumni, you may report spam here: email@example.com.
- When do I need to fulfill my pledge?
Donors to HBS, particularly alumni in reunion classes, can make pledges to be fulfilled at a later date. Guidelines for payments differ for reunion and annual giving pledges.
For the 5th, 10th, 15th 20th, 50th, and up
Pledges must be made by June 30 following the reunion and should be fulfilled by the following December 31.
For the 25th, 30th, 35th, 40th, and 45th
Pledges must be made by December 31 following the reunion and should be fulfilled by the following June 30.
Must be paid by June 30th fiscal year close to be counted in giving totals and listed in the School's Contributors Report.
Special payment arrangements can be made for larger gifts. For further information, please contact Kerry Cietanno, Director of Donor Relations at 617.495.6889 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Will I get credit for pledge payments?
Donors will be recognized in the School's annual Contributors Report for the full amount of a pledge in the year that it is made, regardless of payment timing. Pledge payments made in subsequent years will not be listed. A donor may request that he or she be recognized for payments as they are made over more than one fiscal year.
- Will my gift to HBS be automatically credited to my class?
Yes, all gifts receive class credit.
- Will my spouse and I both receive credit for a gift to HBS?
Joint crediting is an option but is not automatically applied. Couples must indicate if they would like their gift to be entered jointly, in which case the amount will be split 50/50 for tax purposes but each person will receive class credit and recognition for the full amount of the gift. Please contact Development Operations at 617-495-6207, or email email@example.com, for further information about crediting.
- What is the crediting policy for planned gifts?
HBS will give credit to the donor and donor's class for the full face-value of an irrevocable life-income gift. Such credit is given also for a bequest intention, properly documented, in the 50th reunion or later.
- How do I take advantage of my company's matching gift program?
Please use our online search tool or contact your company's human resources office to find out if your employer matches charitable gifts and to learn the associated policies and procedures. For more information, visit Corporate Matching.
- What is the School's Federal Tax Identification number?
President and Fellows of Harvard College, ID# 04-2103580
- When will I receive a receipt for my gift?
You can expect to receive an official receipt in 10-15 business days after HBS receives your gift.
- How can I get a duplicate tax receipt for my gift?
To request a duplicate receipt, contact Dan Mortara, Development Operations Manager, at 617-495-6381 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Do HBS alumni receive special discounts on the Harvard Business Review?
FREE Online Access: Alumni receive online access to the current issue and over 2,800 articles from back issues.
HBS Alumni who have LEFA forwarding established may gain access to the Harvard Business Review by following the procedures .
Subscription Discounts: HBS Alumni may also receive a discount on print subscriptions to the Harvard Business Review. The 1-year discounted rates are as follows: US, $59.00; Canada/Mexico, $79.00; International, $99.00. To initiate the offer, e-mail email@example.com. You will then receive an e-mail in return with further instructions on completing your alumni subscription request. Renewals must also be made by first contacting firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Is there an official group for HBS alumni on LinkedIn
Yes, there is. If you're a member of LinkedIn and would like to join the official Harvard Business School alumni group click here. (LEFA required for auto-acceptance to the group)
- What is the HBS Nonprofit/Public Sector Loan Repayment Assistance Program?
The HBS Nonprofit/Public Sector Loan Repayment Assistance Program can help reduce the need-based educational debt repayment burden for alumni taking managerial positions in the US or abroad where salaries may be below the MBA average. Qualified graduates from the MBA Class of 1999 onward are eligible to apply. Learn more.
- What discounts are available to HBS alumni?
IBM/Lenovo Discount for Harvard Alumni
As a Harvard alumnus/a, you can save significantly on select ThinkPad notebook computers. Go to: http://post.harvard.edu/ibm
- Alumni Travel
For information on alumni travel programs-including schedules and trip itineraries, go to: http://alumni.harvard.edu/travel/trips/hbs.