A charitable remainder trust (CRT) provides you and/or others a lifetime income, with HBS receiving the remainder. Administered by Harvard Management Company, a CRT is an excellent way to support your family and leave a legacy at HBS.
- Quarterly payments for life to you and/or the people you choose
- Charitable income tax deduction
- Potential reduction in capital gains and estate taxes
- Expert management services by Harvard Management Company provided at no cost
- Your class receives credit for the full amount of your gift
- Membership in the John C. Whitehead Society
- You can create a CRT with stock, cash, real estate, or other assets. Depending on your age, the minimum gift ranges from $150,000 to $250,000.
- Harvard pays you a percentage of the trust’s value, and your payments rise or fall based on the trust’s market performance.
- At the end of the trust term, HBS receives the remainder and will use it for the purpose(s) you specified.
- You can name non-Harvard charities—or even your family foundation or donor-advised fund—as charitable remainder beneficiaries as long as Harvard receives at least $150,000 but not less than 50 percent of the remainder.
Use our gift calculator to see how a CRT can work for you