Women's Mentorship Program
The Women's Mentorship Program connects female HBS students with alumnae. This is not a job placement program, though students seek guidance on career choices.
The mission of the program is to:
- Foster learning through the experience and expertise of alumnae
- Offer alumnae an opportunity to influence the career paths of students
- Provide a supportive community for HBS women
The Women's Mentorship Program is supported School-wide with collaboration from faculty, MBA and Alumni Relations staff, and the HBS Women's Student Association.
How It Works
Potential alumnae mentors complete a survey covering personal interests, geographic location, professional industry, educational background, and more.
Students will perform a detailed search based on these criteria and select a mentor who most closely matches their needs.
Mentor profiles are posted in the database without names or contact details, and final matches are approved by HBS staff.
Mentors between 5 and 30 years out of HBS are matched with current students in February.
Mentor pairs are encouraged to connect once a month by phone, e-mail, or in person. Participation is expected for one year, with the hope that the relationship will continue over a lifetime.
Benefits of a Mentor Relationship
- Enhance your leadership and coaching skills
- Learn the various ways students are connected to career and professional networks
- Create a new support network with students (and future alumnae) in your field
- Unique opportunity to be paired with a life-long mentor
- Receive guidance on anything from personal situations to career choices, and life in general
- Build your HBS alumnae network
Students will select their mentor choice and will be responsible for making the first connection. Alumnae mentors will be nofitied of their student match and should expect to hear from their student within one week of this announcement.
Alumnae and students should agree on a regular check in method and should plan to communicate at least once a month, by phone, e-mail or in person.
Students are expected to make every effort to meet in person, should they find themselves in your region. Alternatively, you should attempt to schedule a meeting with your student if you are local or if your travels bring you to Boston.
Tips for Mentors and Mentees
Click here for some useful topics and conversation starters to help with your mentoring relationship.
Make the most out of your mentoring relationships. This article provides insight into various mentoring relationships and possiblities. Read Article.
Resources for Alumnae
Alumni Career Services is pleased to offer a variety of special Alumnae Resources.
Healthcare Student-Alumni Mentor Program
The Healthcare Student-Alumni Mentor Program links HBS alumni from all sectors of the industry with students exploring careers in healthcare. We seek mentors in life sciences, healthcare services, insurance and managed care, healthcare delivery, venture capital, and consulting, among other fields.
This is not a job placement program, though students seek guidance on career choices. The program is supported and administered jointly by the HBS Healthcare Initiative, the HBS Health Industry Alumni Association, and the student-run Healthcare Club.
How It Works
- Be matched with a current student based on mutual interest in a particular healthcare industry segment
- Develop a monthly e-mail or phone-based relationship with a current HBS student
- Share their experience and expertise in the industry
We invite you to participate in this valuable program that benefits students and alumni, and strengthens the School's influence in the healthcare community.